Rakan no I Well found by Kobo Daishi Kukai
Near Edogawa River
, walking down a slope on the south side of Satomi Park
, walking down stone steps behind the rose garden of Satomi Park, there
is a well called Rakan no I
that has a legend that Kobo Daishi Kukai
found. Has Kobo Daishi really come here? Nobody could agree with this
legend easily. However, many heroes in history of Japan have come areas
around Konodai since there was the provincial office of Shimousa
built in. There are several other legends existed; Gyoki
built Shimousa Kokubunji Temple
and Mamasan Guhoji Temple
near it. Kobo Daishi Kukai wrote the name of Guhoji in the flame hanged
on the Sanmon Gate in Guhoji Temple. Moreover, Masakado Taira
rode and fought, Yoritomo Minamoto
pitched his camp near Konodai to collect samurai worriers in Shimousa
to rise to his arms again. Dokan Ota
built Konodaijo Castle
in the area now Satomi Park is, of course he had strategic reasons but
he might think there was Rakan no I well.
Why don't you visit Rakan no I well in Satomi Park?
Rakan no I well in Satomi Park
Rakan no I well
Rakan no I well is a well having a legend that Kobo Daishi Kukai found
and it was introduced on Edo Meisho Zue
(a guide book of Edo
in Edo period
). The well is on the southern slope of Satomi Park, and this spring has
never stopped gushing out for several hundred years. In Sengoku Period
, many samurai worriers stayed in Konodaijo Castle could drink water of
Rakan no I well. (Now, the water of Rakan no I well is not drinkable.)
Satomi Park and Konodai is on the Shimousa Plateau, so there are not good springs and wells. These environments would be created the legend that Kobo Daishi Kukai found Rakan no I well.
新編 市川歴史探訪 崙書房
新編 江戸川ライン歴史散歩 崙書房
Rakan no I Well in Satomi Park
- Rakan no I Well in Satomi Park has great accessibilities from both Narita and Haneda International Airport.
- From Narita International Airport, take Keisei-line and get off Konodai Sta, take minimally 45 minutes from Narita Airport. And also take Keisei Narita Sky Access line bound to Nippori Sta or Haneda International Airport and get off Shin Kamagaya Sta, transfer the line to Hokuso line bound to Nishi Magome or Haneda International Airport and get off Yakiri Sta.
- From Haneda International Airport, take Keikyu-line bound to Narita, and get off Konodai Sta. And also take Keikyu-line bound to Inba Nihon Daigaku (Nihon University) and get off Yakiri Sta.
- Take 10 minute walk from Konodai and Yakiri Sta.
- 3-9 Konodai, Ichikawa-shi, Chiba-ken
The Noted Scenic Spots in and around Satomi Park
Visitors find nature, history and culture in this area.
Visotors enjoy seeing beautiful cherry blossoms, roses and colored leaves.
The House of Hakushu Kitahara
Rakan no I Well has a legend that Kobo Daishi Kukai found
A stone tells the sad story of Sengoku Period.
The stone tablets are related to the battle of Konodai
They are intorduced in Edo Meisho Zue in Edo period.
It is the intangible cultural property registered by Chiba
It was treated as a high ranked temple as same as Daimyos.
It is famous for a traditional event called 'Tsujikiri'.
Many flowers bloom and many birds come this water park .
There are many noted spots along this river.
Tekona, Mamasan temple and some landmarks in it. It is good place to walk
Genkoji Temple, a branch temple of Ryogoku Ekoin has a beautiful garden
and CafeTerrace Ekoin.
It commands a panoramic view of Mt.Fuji behind Tokyo.