Shinnakagawa River | The Beautiful River in the Urban Area
is a branch river of Nakagawa flowing from Tonegawa
in Hanyu in Saitama prefecture
to Tokyo Bay. The river begins from Nakagawa at Takasago in Katsushikaku
and it flows to south in the central part of Edogawaku
between Arakawa and Edogawa river
and goes into Edogawa River in the south of Mizuhobashi Bridge and finally
it goes to the bay. Since the areas along Nakagawa River suffered floods
frequently, to avoid this disaster, Shinnakagawa was built to bring water
of Nagagawa to Edogawa River. So it was a canal completed in March 1963
and it became a river in March 1965 and it was named Shinnakagawa.
Anyway, Kafu Nagai
who was a famous writer early 1900's and walked on Ichikawashi and Edogawaku
for many years did not write any information of Shinnakagawa River in his
diary Danchotei Nichijo. (He visited Nimaibashi on the east side of Koiwa
Ohashi bridge in May 31st 1948.)
Now many people enjoy walking and jogging on the promenades on the banks and basins of Shinnakagawa River. Though Shinnakagawa flows in the residential areas in Tokyo, people enjoy seeing nature along it. Why don't you visit it?
新版 断腸亭日乗 第六巻 岩波書店
The Wonderful Shinnakagawa Views
The Views of Flying Wild Birds Over Shinnakagawa
Many wild birds come and fly over the river.
Cosmoses in fall and Poppies in spring bloom along the river.
It is very wonderful when azaleas are blooming along the river.
The Views of the Bridges Across Shinnakagawa
There are 26 bridges across 7.9 kilometers of Shinnakagawa.
Shinnakagawa River (promenades on the banks in Edogawaku)
- Shinnakagawa River has great accessibilities from both Narita and Haneda International Airport.
- From Narita International Airport, take Keisei-line and get off Funabashi Sta, and transfer the line to JR Sobu Line bound to Nakano or Mitaka then get off Koiwa Sta, take minimally 50 minutes from Narita Airport. And also take JR Sobu-express line, get off Koiwa Sta.
- From Narita International Airport, take Sobu Express Line bound to Tokyo or Yokosuka and get off at Funabashi Sta, then transfer the line to Sobu line bound to Nakano or Mitaka ang get off at Motoyawata Sta. Or take Keisei-line bound to Ueno and get off Keisei Yawata Sta. Both from Motoyawata Sta and Keisei Yawata Sta, transfer the line to Toei Shinjuku line and get off at Ichinoe Sta.
- From Haneda International Airport, take Keikyu-line bound to Narita, and get off Asakusabashi Sta, and transfer the line to JR Sobu Line bound to Chiba or Tsudanuma and get off Koiwa Sta.
- From Haneda International Airport, take Keikyu-line bound to Narita, and get off Shinagawa Sta and transfer the line to Sobu Express line bound to Narita International Airport or Chiba, and transfer the line at Ichikawa Sta to Sob line bound to Nishi Funabashi, Tsudanuma or Chiba and get off at Motoyawata Sta. Or take Keikyu-line bound to Narita, and get off Keisei Yawata Sta. Both from Motoyawata Sta and Keisei Yawata Sta, transfer the line to Toei Shinjuku line and get off at Ichinoe Sta.
- From Iwamotocho Station at Akihabara, take Toei Shijuku line bound to Motoyawata and get off Ichinoe Sta.
- Take 10 minute walk from Koiwa Sta and 5 minute walk from Koiwa Sta.
- In the central part of Edogawaku Tokyo
Landmarks along Shinnakagawa River
Views along Shinnakagawa River
Wild birds fly and flowers bloom along the river.
It looks like a shrine in a forest since many tall trees stand in it.
There are some funny sculptures and wonderful flower shops.
There are some peaceful green zons for rest.
It is an important temple to know the history of Ichinoe area.
It has tombs of Kabuki Yakusha and it is called Yakushadera.
The traditional Japanese style residence with a thatched roof.
In spring, weeping cherry trees bloom, in fall, colored leaves decorate the garden.
The park has many sakura and seasonal flowers, visitors could enjoy all seasons.
It is an an old shrine with much green in between a river, a park and a green zone.
The areas along the river have many noted spots that people could enjoy history and culture.