Shirahata Jinja Shrine in Miyakubo
Along the Chuodori street (the central street) from Motoyawata Station
in Ichikawa city
, walking across Mamagawa River
famous for cherry blossoms and going to the north, there are a stone torii
gate and a red torii gate on a criff, they are the gates of Shirahata Jinja
Shrine where Yoritomo Minamoto
took a break under a pine tree standing at its gate. The legends said
that the pine tree was called Sodekake no Matsu
(a pine tree for hanging sleeves on) and the stone tablet scribing the
name stands under the stone steps of the shrine. In addition, Yoritomo
hanged his coat on.
The view from the approach way on the cliff to the main building of Shirahata
Jinja Shrine is very exciting, you can see Tokyo Skytree in Mukojima Tokyo
from it. Yoritomo Minamoto might watch to the provincial office of Shimousa
In spring, the approach on the cliff is covered with Sakura Blossoms, it is good to see them on the approach way, and also it is excitingly good to look up them under the cliff.
Why don't you visit Shirahata Jinja Shrine?
The History of Shirahata Jinja Shrine
The History of Shirahata Jinaja Shrine
According to some classical records, Shirahata Jinja Shrine would be called
at that time, it is a shrine that dedicates Homudawake no Mikoto
(the Emperor Oujin), Takenouchi no Sukune
, Tenman Tenjin
as its divine gods. Some old villagers sometimes call it Hachimansama
(a nickname of Hachimangu Shrine) even now. Shinmei Jinja Shrine was very
old, it was built before 1486.
The Memorial of Sodekake no Matsu
There is a stone tablet under the stone steps of Shirahata Jinja Shrine,
it is the Memorial of Sodekake no Matsu (a pine tree for hanging sleeves
According to legends, after the Battle of Ishibashiyama in 1180 and Yoritomo
Minamoto escaped to Awa province
to rebuilt his arms, he visited here and put his white flags on while
his march to the provincial government of Shimousa in Konodai. The name
Shirahata is named after this event (white flags is called Shirahata in
The Cherry Blossoms in Shirahata Jinja Shrine
Shirahata Jinja Shrine is excitingly beautiful in Spring.
Three minutes walks from Mamagawa River,a famous scenic spot of cherry
blossoms, there is an amazingly wonderful views of sakura blossoms along
the approach way of Shirahata Jinja Shrine on the cliff. It is one of the
best place to enjoy seeing cherry blossoms on the approach and views from
the cliff simultaneously.
Shirahata Jinja Shrine
- Shirahata Jinja Shrine has great accessibilities from both Narita and Haneda
- From Narita International Airport, take Keisei-line and get off Keisei Yawata Sta. Take Narita Sky Access-line and get off Higashi Matsudo Sta. And also take JR Sobu-express line, transfer the line at Funabashi Sta to Sobu Local line, get off JR Motoyawata Sta. Take minimally 34 minutes from Narita Airport.
- From Haneda International Airport, take Keikyu-line bound to Narita, and get off Keisei Yawata Sta. And also take Keikyu-line bound to Shinagawa, transfer the line at Shinagawa to Yokosuka-line bound to Chiba or Narita International Airport, transfer teh line at Ichikawa Sta to Sobu Local line bound to Tsudanuma, Chiba, get off JR Motoyawata Sta.
- From Both Motoyawata and Keisei Yawata Sta, take Keisei Bus bound to Higashi Matsudo Sta, get off Miyakubo Sakaue bus stop.
- From Higashi Matsudo Sta, take Keisei Bus bound to Motoyawata Sta, get
off Miyakubo Sakaue bus stop.
- Take 3 minute walk from both Miyakubo Sakaue bus stop.
- 4-2-4 Miyakubo Ichikawa-shi Chiba-ken
A Walk on Katsushika Hachimangu Shrine and Yawata
Having long history and the national natural treasure Senbon Icho Tree
Having some legends in this tiny thicket, many writers introduced it in
Shirahata Jinja Shrine
Very beautiful cherry blossoms along the approach way on the cliff.
The shrine has monuments of Kafu Nagai, Rohan Koda and Kaishu Katsu.
The noted wisteria trees called Choju Fuji are very popular and beautiful.
A small shrine standing quietly in residential area Sugano has some legends.
The statue of Myoken Bosatsu in it has been very famous since Edo period.
Kabuto Jinja Shiren has some legends about the Kabuto helmet dedicated
Yoko Mizuki was a scenario writer who contributed on the motion picture world in Japan.
The Mama-gawa River is the very famous spot to enjoy seeing the blooming Cherry Blossoms.
Shinmeisha Shrine and Shinmeiji Temple have their long history and the legend of Oguri Hangan.
Nikke Colton Plaza and some landmarks around are attractive and exciting to walk on.