Soyasan Rairinji Temple and The Gozu Tennou Shrine
Soyasan Rairinji Temple
is an old temple built by Myorin Nittei, a daughter
of Nobunori Soya
, one of great supporters of the founder Nichiren
, stands on Tonodai Ono famous area for pear gardens in Ichikawa city
. And there is Soyasan Horenji Temple
built by Nobunor near it. Rairinji Temple is a very beautiful temple covered
with much green. Moreover, in the temple there is a shrine that dedicates
famous for the god giving children. And there are lagoon dogs
made by Shigaraki Yaki in it, they look cute and jocular so visitors enjoy
visiting Rairenji Temple.
Myorin Nittei was a Buddhist name, her name was Shibazakihime and she lived
in between late Kamakura period
and Nanbokucho period
. She was born as a princess of Norinobu Soya, a master of a relative family
of Chiba Clan, and she was married with Sadatane Chiba, the provincial
governor of Shimousa and the 11th head of the clan. She had two sons, Kazutane
and Ujitane. But her husband and sons had passed way before her. Then she
built a temple to pray for the souls of her family where her father's body
has been cremated. This is Soyasan Rairinji Temple. The name of Rairinji
was named after her father's and her Buddhist name, her father was given
'Horen Nichirai' by the founder Nichiren, and she was Myorin Nittei, the
name was combined his 'Rai' and her 'Rin', therefore Rai-Rin-ji was named.
Moreover, a small shrine of Gozu Tenno, the god giving children to faithful couples, has been dedicated. Some said she prayed for the god to get a child when she got married, then she could get two sons.
Soyasan Rairinji Temple is a very beautiful old temple with full of woods in the site, and Gozu Tenno was dedicated in it. Some wares of racoon dogs in the green field give visitors their lovely smile.
Why don't you visit Soyasan Rairenji Temple?
Soyasan Rairinji Temple
- Soyasan Rairinji Temple has great accessibilities from both Narita and Haneda International Airport.
- From Narita International Airport, take JR Sobu-express line, transfer the line at Nishi-funabashi to Musashino Line bound to Fuchuhoncho or Higashi Tokorozawa, get off Ichikawa Ono Sta. And also take Hokuso Line, transfer the line at Higashimatsudo to Musashino Lline, get off Ichikawa Ono Sta. It takes minimally 50 minutes from Narita Airport.
- From Haneda International Airport, take Keikyu-line bound to Narita, transfer the line at Takasago Sta to Hokuso Line, and transfer the line at Higashi Matsudo Sta to Musashino Line, get off Ichikawa Ono Sta. It takes almost 1 hour from Haneda Airport.
- From Tokyo Sta, take Musashino Line bound to Fuchuhoncho or Higashi Tokorozawa, get off Ichikawa Ono Sta. It takes about 28 minutes from Tokyo Sta.
- From Akihabara Sta, take Sobu line bound to Chiba, Tsudanuma or Nishi Funabashi, Ttransfer the line at Nishi Funabashi to Musashino Line bound to Fuchu Honcho or Higashi Tokorozawa, get off Ichikawa Ono Sta.
- Take 13 minute walk from Ichikawa Ono Sta.
- 4-3067 Ono-cho, Ichikawa-shi, Chiba-ken
The Landmarks near Soyasan Rairinji Temple
Omachi and Ono have many pear gardens, pears are their special products.
It has the Rose Garden and the Village of Maple Trees.
It has a legend connecting to Masakado Taira and it dedicates him.
It was built by Norinobu Soya and has a legends of Masakado Taira and
Komagata Grand Shrine.
It was built by Masakado Taira, one of the mot famous samurai heroes in
It was famous for the statue of Chichinashi Nio and it belongs to Shichifukujin
Soyasan Reirinji Temple
The shrine of Gozu Tenno, the god giving children to faithful couples, is dedicated in it.
It dedicates Daikokuten, the god of wealth, belonging to Ichikawa Shichifukujin.
It is an old temple with 650 years history and it has Ono Tenmangu Shrine built by Masakado Taira.
Many Flowers written in the Myriad of Leaves are exhibited with tanka poems
Swans and some waterfowls go on the pond surrounded by cherry trees in spring.
Many attractive landmarks stand along it.
The sacred temple covered with holy cherry trees is famous for the legend of Seven Sutra Mound and Shichifukujin in Ichikawa.
The first nunnery of Nichiren Sect built by the Princess Tokiwai, the legend said ther daughter of the Emperor drifted to Ichikawa.